CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Great Grandfather Sylvanus Hulet

Dear Family,

I have been doing some research on my great grandfather, Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet, the father of Emma Wight Hanks. I found some interesting facts about him that I will share.

Sylvanus was born in Nelson, Portage, Ohio in 1826. In 1830, Joseph Smith and Parley P. Pratt came to his parent's home and taught them the gospel. After much study, Charles and Margaret Ann were baptized the following February, 1831. The family moved to Jackson County, MO where they were persecuted by the mobs. Later they moved to Far West and were again persecuted. They moved to Nauvoo where they lived until Dec. 1845. When Sylvanus was 10 years old, his father took him to meet the Prophet Joseph Smith. He was also at the meeting when Brigham Young was chosen to take the place of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Sylvanus and his father helped to build the Nauvoo temple.

Sylvanus married Catherine Stoker in 1829 in Mt. Pisgah, IA. The went west with the James Pace Company. They settled in Sprinville, Ut. They later moved to southern Utah where Sylvanus became the first bishop if the Summit, UT ward. It was in Summit where Sylvanus married our great grandmother, Alice Elizabeth Dalley.

I found all of this very interesting and didn't know if any of my sisters had read this information.
I found it by Googling Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet and also his father, Charles Hulet. For more details you can go there yourselves and read.

Hope you find this as interesting as I did. It makes Nauvoo an even more special place for me knowing that some of my ancestors were living right here and walked the ground where I am walking myself.

2 comments:

maynardmoments said...

Wow, that was pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

The Whittier Family said...

What a small word. I am also directly related to Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet (great-great-grandfather or something like that). On top of that, I was Jeff's room-mate our freshman year at BYU. Turns out we might have been related.