CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Another Interesting week

I sat by a man in church who is from Loa, Utah which is between Hanskville and Capital Reef Nat'l Park. I mentioned that I was a Hanks. He said there were several Hanks families who live near him. I asked if he happened to know where Ephriam Hanks burial site is and where the Floral Ranch was. He gave me the phone number of a Walter Hanks who could tell me exactly where they are! I plan to call him tonight. This Elder said that Walter had taken youth groups to the gravesite for firesides in the past. I am anxious to talk to him. I have often wondered about the location of these places. When I talked to Dad he told me that a Walter Hanks was Dad's father, David Capener Hank's, half brother. I think the Walt Hanks I will call must have been named after Grandpa Hank's half brother. Interesting!






Thurs night and Friday we had a HUGE rainstorm. In 18 hrs there was 5 " of rainfall!! I have never seen it rain as hard as it did. We took some pictures of farm fields near Carthage, approx 15 miles east of Nauvoo. The fields look like lakes! It will be a long time before the farmers can get out in their fields.


I can't resist taking pictures of flowering bushes and plants here in Nauvoo. These spirea bushes have come in full bloom this past week. The house across the street is where a group of sister Young Performing missionaries live. There are 27 YPMs here for the summer. Ten perform on stage as part of the pageant, Sunset on the Mississippi, a variety show, and other smaller productions going on around Nauvoo. The rest, 17, are the Nauvoo Brass Band which plays around Nauvoo all summer long. I can't think of a more fun way to spend a summer if you enjoy doing these kinds of things!
This past week at one of our preparation meetings, the Nauvoo Brass Band performed a few numbers. They were awesome!! They have only been together 1 1/2 weeks and sounded like they had practiced together a couple of months. Their leader is Elder Blackinton, father of Todd Blackinton (Poc. channel 6). He just retired as the head of the BYU band program. This is his second year to lead the Nauvoo Brass Band. They have 55 songs in their repertoire and didn't get their music until they arrived here!!

There is always something new and interesting here in Nauvoo!

2 comments:

Rita said...

Thank you for keeping us caught up! I love the pictures and your entries. The flowers are so beautiful--you must not have deer!

Stefanie said...

The pics. of the tulips were so beautiful. I'm glad you are getting to see different places and enjoy the activities of near by towns.