CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 26, 2009

We're still happy!

We can hardly believe that we are finishing our second week here in Nauvoo. We thought we were coming to a less windy country but wrong!!! They tell us there is a lot of wind here that comes off of the Mississippi River. The farmers in the area are concerned because it has been too wet to plant their corn. We have had a lot of rain storms. They put down a lot of rain in a short amount of time!

In one of our orientation meetings we were told what to do if there was a tornado. We are supposed to get into a basement. We have a little area under the house which we access from outside. The ceiling is low, the floor very, very damp and I am sure there must be lots and lots of spiders. Oh I hope we don't have to go down there and stay for any amount of time!!!!

The Pageant work is coming along good. When I find myself feeling nervous about what I am doing I have to remind myself that faith and fear cannot exist together. I must increase my faith that the Lord will give us the abilities we need to accomplish our task. We are becoming more acquainted with what's in the files and on the computer and how to run the equipment in the office. So many times it takes so long to complete a project because we are having to "figure out" where to find or how to use something!

There is a lot of US history that has taken place in this area. We were in Quincy, IL this week for a Pageant meeting. They have a park in the center of town which was the location of the famous Abe Lincoln-Steven A. Douglas debate. The building where Douglas had his law office is across the street from the park. Quincy also has a street with beautiful large historic homes. We want to return on a Preparation Day to spend more time looking around.

This weekend in Keokuk there were two reinactments of Civil War battles that took place in the area. I need to "bone up" on my US history so I am more familiar with what took place in this region.

Glenn and I are still happy as companions! We heard about a couple who married (both had lost their spouse) and immediately went on a mission together. When they arrived home a year later they got a divorce as soon as they got home. Funny - but also sad story!! It is nice to be able to work together here. At home it seems like we were always busy with our own projects,etc. We feel very blessed to be in such a lovely place and to be surrounded by such nice people.

5 comments:

Maja said...

Maja says" I am glad the marriage is surviving the mission."

Maja said...

Kaylee says" Have fun and I hope there wont be any spiders."

Maja said...

Ryan says" Have fun, I hope you don't see any snakes down there"

Rita said...

Can't wait to see a picture with your new hanging baskets on your porch. I bet the wind keeps them moving! I know what you mean about learning the history where you are...I am reading "John Adams" to prepare for our next trek east!

The Eight Family said...

We are loving the updates. You two sound like the perfect mission companions - I hope you don't have transfers any time soon. We love you lots!!